Friday, April 17, 2009

My apron is finished

Yea, it's done! Now what to do? That's actually a stupid question. I've got a million projects to finish up around here. An' It's only going to get harder as the sunny days come on.

About my sewing room? Yes, it is as cluttered as it looks....and no, there isn't much I can do about it.....not right now anyways. (I've also posted this photo in the group of "My junky messed up living space" at flickr....it only seemed right). Ever since I inherited my Grandmother's and Great Aunt Jane's 'sewing rooms', mine's never been the same. In this picture you can can see two of my sewing machine's, one covered and the one back on my 'beading' table. The one's you can't see are the Treadle and the 'Stradivaro' (which is in the shop right now getting a tune-up). Then there's the one I have in another bedroom that is sadly missing it's bobbin cradle. It is also a combination of a treadle and motor run machine. OK, so does that make it 4 now? (I thought it was 5.....I know that dang thing is around here somewhere - I'm laughing out loud at that statement).

Ok, about projects....(yes... a new one). I've got all of these beautiful vintage fabrics that were handed down to me, and I've just decided on a project for them. Those of you who have Kaffe Fassett's book 'Passionate Patchwork'... look on page 13. That antique quilt is what I've decided to make with all these vintage pieces. It's a beautiful antique quilt and all of those fabric's in that quilt are so close to what I have in this pile. I've heard it said that keeping fabric's in plastic bags quickens the rotting process....because they need to breath. I've been keeping mine like this because of the dust around here, (I have a long dirt road behind me and keeping dust out is impossible)...plus the dogs, there's always dog hair somewhere. So...making these pieces into a quilt like the one hanging on that door seems to be the perfect way to go. I don't think they would look good any other way.
I'll post photo's of it when I get started.

Note: About these photo's and their color....one was taken during the day (apron) and the other during the night. I've tried changing my camera settings every which way, I've taken a picture in every single setting I have on this dang thing..... but it always come's out the same. Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've decided to cut into your vintage stash, I understand your trepidation I would be the same!
    My evening photo's come out the same as yours, so I always take mine during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coloration differences is caused by the type of lighting you are using. Your film is probably mfg for daylight -- if you use it outside or inside with window light, or inside with your flash, the right colors should be evident

    The bottom picture, on the other hand, is the result of using tungsten light (standard light bulb.) The tungsten light has a yellow cast. You can offset this effect by using a flash. If you think you used a flash, it didn't work.

    Tungsten light is yellow (warm), and florescent light is bluish (cool.) Both require a flash to present true colors when you are using daylight film.

    FYI, I taught photography for 14 years.

    ReplyDelete

Library-Thing

My "Library Thing" Profile and Book Collection Link

My Amazon 'Creative' Books Wish List

This is a good idea